10th February 2012


The British Boxing Board of Control have confirmed that Sam Sexton is the mandatory challenger to face David Price for the vacant British heavyweight title after champion Tyson Fury relinquished the belt together with his Commonwealth strap. 

Following the BBBofC’s ruling, the Commonwealth Boxing Council has also acknowledged that Sexton can box Price for its now vacant crown after CBC honorary secretary Simon Block issued the following statement.

BBBofC Statement
“I have received a formal letter via email, from Tyson Fury informing the CBC that he has relinquished the Commonwealth Heavyweight Championship, which is now vacant. David Price is the mandatory contender in this weight division having won 2 official Eliminators. The British Boxing Board of Control yesterday determined that Price box Sam Sexton for their national Title, also vacated by Fury, and as Sexton is a named challenger on the list of contenders issued by the CBC on 8th December, following the last AGM, this match, subject to compliance with CBC Regulations, will also be recognised as being for our Title.”

David Price

Liverpudlian Price is now unbeaten in 12 fights after blasting out Big John McDermott in one round in his last fight to win the English belt and also the the final eliminator for the Lonsdale belt and the chance to face Fury.

Although Price still has his chance of the title shot, he is disapointed he will not be facing Fury for them.

“I’m just disappointed, really. I was excited because an offer was sent across by Mick Hennessy to Frank so I’d got me hopes up that they wanted to fight and were going to put a bid in for purse bids.

“The fact that they didn’t even attempt to put a purse bid in tells me they had no intention of making the fight in the first place.

I’m just sick, really. I’ve got to move on from it, and move forward. I just expected a bit more of him as a fighter, to be honest.” – David Price reacts to Fury’s decision to vacate titles and not fight him.

I think he knows I’ve got his number and I’ll take him out. I’ll end Tyson Fury if I ever fight him – that’ll be the end of him; I’ll end him – the myth will be gone; I’ll destroy the myth that is Tyson Fury and I think he knows it.”  – David Price.

Norwich’s Sexton, the former Commonwealth heavyweight champion with a pro record of 15-2, will look to reclaim the title he lost to Dereck Chisora, when he was stopped in round 9, in Sep 2010. Sexton as earned his chance with two wins since that loss.

Price had been offered £100,000 to fight Fury on Channel 5, but turned the offer down hoping that the fight would go to purse bids. Unfortunately though Fury decided to give up the belts and scrap the fight with Price, stating he will now seek the world title route rather than stay at domestic level.

A fight between the two best British heavyweights seems destined to happen and if both stay unbeaten, it will take place somewhere down the line, with maybe a bigger prize and better purse on the table.

Tyson Fury

Meanwhile Fury’s camp Hennessy Sports have stated their intentions as they go in pursuit of making the travelling man from Manchester a household name on his journey to become Heavyweight World Champion. 

“We have a great schedule in place for Tyson on Channel 5 and I’m not prepared to have that affected by other promoters, purse bids and titles.” said Mick Hennessy.

“Fury vs. Price was a quality fight and in my opinion it should go out to the widest possible audience, that’s why I offered David Price £100,000 to fight Tyson Fury on Channel 5, which unfortunately was rejected by his promoter on Monday. – Tyson’s next steps and further information will be announced over the next few days” added Hennessy. 

While Fury says he excited about his future; “It’s been an honour to have won and held both the British and Commonwealth heavyweight titles, but as I’m now currently number 7 in the world it’s time to move on.

If David Price really believed he could beat me the smart move in my opinion would have been to take the great pay day that was offered by my promoter to appear on terrestrial TV.” – Tyson Fury.

“I’m really excited about my future plans as I’m doing things differently and currently training like a Trojan in pursuit of becoming Heavyweight Champion of the World.” added Tyson.
.