- Alexander v Purdy Press Conference Quotes and VideoPosted 3 days ago
- Nav gets new opponent for Friday’s English title fightPosted 5 days ago
- Rendall Munroe scores 1st round KO in comeback fightPosted 6 days ago
- ‘Kilrain’ Kelly Dedicates Belt to his late MotherPosted 6 days ago
- Jamie McDonnell is the New IBF World Bantamweight ChampionPosted 6 days ago
- Denton Vassell: ‘I’ll show you magic and greatness against Frankie Gavin’Posted 9 days ago
- Dereck Chisora to fight Deontay Wilder at Wembley Arena June 15Posted 10 days ago
- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr wants Martin Murray in MexicoPosted 10 days ago
- Lee Haskins The New British Bantamweight ChampionPosted 20 days ago
- Murray drops Martinez twice but loses on points in ArgentinaPosted 20 days ago
North East Boxing’s ‘Summer Rumble’ July 15
14th June 2012
North East fight fans are set for the sporting event of the summer after the news that ‘Summer Rumble’ will be staged at Sunderland’s ‘Stadium of Light’ on July 15.
“The aim is to put on top-quality contests, help the region’s boxers, and provide value for money for fans, and we’re doing all that. Last year the weather was perfect, and the Stadium of Light proved to be a fantastic venue. This show will be even better.”
Gracing the canvas on the day will be fighters from right across Tyne, Tees and Wear, and headlining will be one of the North East’s top talent’s Martin Ward. The County Durham southpaw, who has won 15 of his 16 pro starts, will finally get the chance to move into British title contention when he takes on Liverpool’s Mike Robinson for the English bantamweight title.
Also up for a belt will be Fishburn’s Gary Fox and Darlington,s Neil Hepper who face each other for the Northern Area light-welterweight crown. The pair have met before with Fox edging an exciting battle back in March, meaning Hepper will be doubly determined to reverse that defeat this time around. While Hartlepool’s popular Peter Cope will also hope to finish the day with a belt around his waist, when he takes on Redcar’s Gavin Reid for the International Masters featherweight title.
The rest of the undercard is stacked with North East talent including former British and European super-bantamweight champion Michael Hunter, who is on the comeback trail. Davey Ferguson Jnr, younger brother of former heavyweight contender David Ferguson, will make his debut, as will Hartlepool’s Callum Winton. Horden’s Greg O’Neill, Sunderland’s Lee Mould, and South Shields’ Anthony ‘Babyface’ Nelson will all be looking to pick up their second professional victories, while the undefeated duo of Newcastle’s Mark Clauzel and Gateshead’s Robert Ismay are both after wins number six.
As if all that wasn’t enough; Middlesbrough’s talented Shafiq ‘Chubzy’ Asif, who has earned himself a ‘one to watch’ tag with exciting performances to date will also appear, as will South Shields’ David Lake who is never in a dull fight. Easington’s Paul Archer will also be back in the ring and seeking to make it five wins in a row, while Craig ‘The Birtley Bullet’ Dixon, who has had boxing insiders sitting up and taking notice after some impressive performances in his fledgling career, will be fighting to make it six without loss.
“I can’t ever remember a show in the North East that’s had so many bouts on,” stated Jeffries.
“This is going to be a fantastic afternoon of boxing, and we want fight fans from right across the region to come along and support their local boxers. We’re looking to firmly put the sport back on the map in the North East, and if we all pull together, promoters, boxers and fans, then we can definitely make it happen.”
For ticket information contact Phil Jeffries on: 0774 7611 020.