- Alexander v Purdy Press Conference Quotes and Video
- Nav gets new opponent for Friday’s English title fight
- Rendall Munroe scores 1st round KO in comeback fight
- ‘Kilrain’ Kelly Dedicates Belt to his late Mother
- Jamie McDonnell is the New IBF World Bantamweight Champion
- Denton Vassell: ‘I’ll show you magic and greatness against Frankie Gavin’
- Dereck Chisora to fight Deontay Wilder at Wembley Arena June 15
- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr wants Martin Murray in Mexico
- Lee Haskins The New British Bantamweight Champion
- Murray drops Martinez twice but loses on points in Argentina
‘Cool Hand Luke’ Campbell wins Olympic Gold Medal
11th August 2012
|Luke Campbell – OLYMPIC CHAMPION|
Campbell had won a World championship silver medal last year, beating Nevin in the semi-finals of that event and came out on top again, knocking Nevin down in the final round to seal a 14-11 victory and a monumental moment in the life of this nice kid.
Both Campbell’s and Nevin’s families are friends and the arena was at fever pitch when the first bell sounded to start the contest. Campbell boxing on the counter performed brilliant against the very talented Nevin.
Campbell showed better timing with his shots throughout the fight, taking the first round, before surrendering the second to Nevin. However, he came on strong in the final session, keeping his nerve and taking the advantage, even dropping Nevin on his way to the top podium spot.
Campbell was in tears when the decision was announced and all the hard work sacrifice and dedication to get to London 2012, seemed to dawn on him and the emotion of the night and the crowds amazing support brought the tears to his eyes. But Im sure it wont sink in for a while just what he has achieved on this fantastic Saturday night for British Boxing.
And it doesn’t end there, tomorrow Super-heavyweight Anthony Joshua and welterweight Fred Evans have the chance to Join Luke and the the British medal haul when they compete in their own respected finals and the chance to emulate some of boxing’s all time greats. – Good luck lads!
One such great was on hand to give his opinion on Campbell’s achievement, Former Olympic gold medalist Lennox Lewis said: “Luke Campbell was brilliant. He kept everything intact, he boxed from distance and never took any chances. He hit Nevin with a great punch in the third round, and that is what happens when you don’t keep your balance.”
Fred Evans (GB) vs Serik Sapayev (KAZ)
Anthony Joshua (GB) vs Roberto Cammarelle (ITA)