23rd September 2012 

Ricky Burns –  pic Al Stevenson
Ricky Burns kept up his world class form by stopping Kevin Mitchell in round four to retain his WBO lightweight title at the SECC in Glasgow on Saturday night and says ‘I was just doing his job’
The Coatsbridge fighter who has to be the most improved British fighter on the circuit at the moment, blew the highly rated Mitchell away in the fashion that pre fight wasn’t expected. Since his move up to lightweight, Burns seems to have developed into the weight in all aspects. He looks stronger and healthier and his punch power is there for all to see.
Burns took centre ring from the start and was a dominant stature in the fight throughout, he looks now and looked in his performance, a genuine world championship fighter, who is now ready to challenge himself against the other lightweight world champions.

A fight against Scott Harrison looks like being his next step and supposing he wins that, he will then be ready for unification fights. Burns has stated his intention to win the coveted ‘Ring Magazine belt’ which signifies the best overall fighter in a boxing weight class.
Other world champions at Burns’ weight who are being mentioned are Antonio DeMarco (WBC) Miguel Vazquez (IBF) and Burns looks and will believe he has the beating of them in what would be career defining fights that would put Burns up amongst the best British fighters in history.
The finish came in the fight when, after hurting Mitchell in the third with a big right hand and knowing he had the power to do so, Burns came on strong in the fourth, stood closer in range and planted his feet more to turn the shots in with power. And it paid off.
Mitchell, 27, started the round off well with some effective work of his own, but it was short lived. Burns again backed the Londoner into the corner, a surprise to most, given the fact many believed before hand, that Mitchell would be the aggressor and the more powerful fighter.
After an exchanging of right back hands from both, Burns stepped in with a left hook, that couldn’t have been executed better or have landed in a sweeter spot, tip of the chin and Mitchell dropped to the canvas, it was the hardest Mitchell had been hit in his 35 pro fights.
In other circumstances it was a finisher and many may never have got up, but Mitchell is a battler and rose to his feet quickly. Referee Terry O’ Connor picked up the count and Mitchell cleared his head and signalled to the official he was ok to continue and but he was on unsteady legs and looked there for the taking.
Burns sensed his opportunity and pounced on his injured challenger, landing a combination of shots before a smashing overhand right sent Mitchell to the floor for the second time.
Mitchell again beat the count and, with the round nearing out it appeared he would survive the round. But Burns was ruthless in his execution and forced the now vulnerable Mitchell against the ropes where he unloaded a constant succession hooks that prompted the referee to jump in and stop the battering with only seconds remaining in the round, saving the Dagenham man from further punishment.
It was Burns’ second defence of the WBO title he won against Michael Katsidis in November 2011. He outpointed Namibian Paulus Moses in March this year and the boxing world is his oyster.
This was Mitchell’s second pro defeat, but afterwards he said; he hopes to get back in the ring immediately and is looking at a December date. His only other loss was against Michael Katsidis, when he was stopped by the Australian in three rounds in May 2010.
Ricky Burns post fight interview

WBO Lightweight champion Ricky Burns talks to James Helder and iFilm
London straight after his fourth round stoppage of Kevin Mitchell at
SECC in Glasgow to retain his world title.