16th September 2012

Matthew Macklin bounced back to the top of the middleweight picture with an impressive fist round stoppage over former WBA light-middleweight champion Joachim Alcine at the Thomas & Mack Centre in Las Vegas on Saturday night.
The fight was on the undercard of Sergio Martinez’s points win over Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and puts Macklin right back in contention again, as he seeks a rematch with Martinez.
Macklin, 30,  put up the best performance of his career when losing to Martinez in March, despite being stopped by the Argentinian champion in the 11th round in what was a good fight and one of Martinez’s toughest title defences to date.
After the stunning first round win over Alcine (33-3-1, 19 KO) Macklin proclaimed himself ‘The most exciting middleweight out there’ and is hoping it will lead on to his third world title shot having previously lost a controversial decision to Felix Sturm last year.
Alcine, 36, was coming into the fight after a shock first round stoppage win of his own, after finishing off fellow Canadian boxer and hotly tipped prospect David Lemieux. But Macklin never let his man get into the fight and jumped on his more experienced opponent from the off and battered him into submission forcing referee Jay Nady to jump in and rescue Alcline after 2:36 of the opener.
The break through came for Macklin (29-4, 20 KO) when he landed a thudding right hook that landed on the left ear of Alcline that scrambled his senses, the legs swayed and the Canadian fell to the canvas. He beat the count and was waved back into the action. 

But Macklin looking fired up and in great shape, charged straight at Alcline with viscous intent and it was clear he wasnt going to let his man off the hook here. – A second knockdown and count ensued after Macklin half bludgeoned and knocked Alcine to the canvas again. He shown heart to get up especially after the first knockdown, which Macklin had delivered with finishing power in text book style off a double jab.

Macklin again jumped in range and unloaded with a barrage of un-answered punches that forced the referee to jump in-between and stop the one sided contest in favour of the Birmingham boxer.
If Macklin cannot secure a fight with Martinez, he may set his sights on Australia’s new  IBF and WBA champion Daniel Geale, who won the titles, after beating Macklin’s old adversary Felix Sturm last month to claim the belts.

An British matchup against Martin Murray could also be on the cards, and would make a great fight on the Ricky Hatton comeback undercard would’nt it? Having said that a fight against Murray would be a main event in itself and would go someway to finding the best middleweight in the country, with Londoner Darren Barker also in that mix of three.


Whatever the next path is for Macklin, he has opened up his options again with this high profile win on his first Las Vegas appearance and the future is looking bright again for ‘Mack the Knife’
“I was prepared for ten tough rounds, he’s a former world champion, but if I hit any middleweight clean on the chin they’re gonna go over, I punch really hard.” said Macklin.
“I was pleased with the performance, it was a statement and I shown that I’m the most exciting middleweight in the world.” 
See the rest of Macklin’s post fight interview on the video below.
Post Fight Interview with Matthew Macklin