Leo Santa Cruz’s father and trainer believes his son did enough to get the decision over Carl Frampton (23-0, 14KOs) last week in New York and demands a rematch with the Northern Ireland man. With a rematch clause in the contract Frampton is happy to face the Mexican again. read more.
Carl Frampton who was welcomed back to Belfast with large gathering of fans in his home city recently, has entered the Ring Magazine world Pound for Pound top 10 boxers at No10 after his sensational win over Leo Santa Cruz last to win the WBA featherweight title.
Chris Eubank Jr (23-1, 18KOs) is expected to defend his British Middleweight title against mandatory champion Tommy Langford, (17-0, 6KOs) after failing to land the Gennedy Golovkin (35-0, 32KOs) fight he wanted. Purse bids for the contest are due in for 10th August.
Billy Joe Saunders who defeated Chris Eubank jr has offered his former foe a rematch if he wants it, in a war of words on Twitter.
Ovill McKenzie (25-12-1, 13KOs) says at 36-years-old he is in amazing shape and very confident of becoming a world champion, when he takes on long reigning IBO cruiserweight king Marco Huck (39-3-1, 27KOs) in Germany on September 24th. “I am in great shape. I will take Marco’s belt off him and bring it back to England. I will give the performance of my life. I am a real fighter, a warrior. I am 36 now, but I honestly feel like I’m 20, I’m in amazing shape.
Former WBO world light-heavyweight champion, Nathan Cleverly admits his world title fight against champion Juergen Brahmer in Germany on October 1st, is a must win opportunity for him that he plans to take to become a two time world title holder. Cleverly has been lined up to face Brahmer three times in the past, but for them to fall through and the Cefn Fforest fighter thinks the German has under estimated him in taking the fight. “This is a must win fight for me and I’m confident I can upset the champion, this is my opportunity to turn things around. said Cleverly. “We were meant to fight three times in the past but he never fancied the challenge when I was at the peak of my game and had a lot of hunger and fire. Maybe he has taken the fight now thinking I’ve had a quiet couple of years and gone off the boil. Maybe he is thinking this is his opportunity to beat me but, as I shown in my last fight, there fire is coming back. I’m looking to become a two-time champion and I’m going to grab it with both hands.”
Sam Sexton is set to be matched against Dillian Whyte for the British title, but will first have a warm up fight on the September 16 in Norwich.
2012 Olympic Bronze medallist Anthony Ogogo has been called out to fight by Irishman Spike O’Sullivan, after Ogogo named O’Sullivan six month’s ago has a potential opponent.
Hughie Fury has been put forward as a possible opponent for Anthony Joshua’s next opponent by his father and trainer Peter Fury. He said he would be happy for his son to face the IBF heavyweight champion before the end of 2016.
Joshua is currently looking for an opponent for his scheduled return to the ring in the winter. It appears his matchmaking team are looking at contenders Bermane Stiverne and Kubrat Pulev but an all British clash against Fury makes for a very good fight for the British fans and one Peter Fury says his son is ready for in November or December. “Hughie is in a good place. He’s turning 22 in September, had 20 fights and he’s a lot better physically and in terms of health than he was.” said Peter Fury. “He’s ready to face these kind of fights and there’s no reason why they can’t happen. He’d be the most technically proficient fighter Joshua has faced by a mile.
Chris Eubank Jr, could still get his fight against world middleweight champion Gennedy ‘GGG’ Golovkin if he defeats his fellow Brit Kell Brook next month. Glolovkin’s coach Abel Sanchez has said that Eubank Jr, disputer the obstacles preventing negotiations last time, still remains the ‘Naturally next’ opponent for his unbeaten Kazakstan fighter.
WBA world bantamweight champion Jamie McDonnell is open to moving up and facing Scott Quigg at super-bantamweight as he seeks bigger fights to enhance his career and raise attention to his profile as one of British boxing’s best world champions.
David Price has revealed in the press this week that he once knocked down Anthony Joshua in sparring when the IBF world champion was an rising amateur. Price says he is looking to fight Joshua and admits he has told the worst kept secret in boxing to try and add interest to a potential all British meeting.
James DeGale says he is close to signing a deal to face fellow world champion Badou Jack in a Super-middleweight unification fight in America. DeGale is the IBF champion and Jack holds the WBC version.
Black Flash Promotions will hold two more boxing shows in Manchester this year, with Zelfa Barrett, Matthew Ryan and Sean Ben Mulligan set to feature. Unbeaten exciting prospect Mark Heffron will also box on the shows set for November 5th and December 10th, after joining the Black Flash stable. Black Flash have two other shows pencilled in, one in association with Steve Wraith Promotions in Newcastle on September 29th and then in Liverpool on October 14th. more details to follow.
Ryan Burnett will defend his British Bantamweight title against Ryan Farrag at the Echo Arena in Liverpool on October 15, live on Sky Sports. Burnett defends his belt for the first time since landing the crown with a shutout win over Jason Booth in November, entering the bout in fine form having won the WBC International strap in February and defending it in July.
Wladimir Klitschko says he has been forced to take Tyson Fury to court following a disagreement during negotiations about their world heavyweight championship rematch. The Ukrainian who lost his belts to Fury in Germany last November was contracted and for rematch. The fight was initially planned for 9 July but Fury withdrew because of an ankle injury. It has since been rescheduled for 29 October.
“Dear fans, I just want to keep you updated on the status quo of my rematch against Fury,” Klitschko said in a video posted on Twitter. “Unfortunately, Team Fury is trying to change the terms of an already-signed contract multiple times. To protect my own rights and to see the rematch, I’m forced to go to court.” said Klitschko.
Meanwhile Tyson Fury says he ‘has some big news coming in the next few days,’ could it be negotiations are now moving forward and the fight heavyweight boxing needs to happen, can be made for this year.
Follow us on Twitter: @britishboxers