17 April 2011
|DOWNLOAD THE APP HERE|
Features on the App.
Fitness – Get into shape for the ring with no-nonsense fitness tips.
Equipment – Hints and tips on what equipment you need to keep safe, to get fit and ultimately, step into the ring. Get to know what is in the gym, what it’s called and most importantly, what it is used for.
Information – Whether you want to check the rules, the meaning of a boxing term or simply find out which weight division you would be in, this section is full of useful and often amusing information.
- How did the App idea come about and who’s idea was it?
- I was filming at Scott’s Gym (Brighton & Hove ABC) for a long term project and noted how Scott taught the juniors and young men. His commitment to the club and methods of teaching inspired me to approach him about making an app to share this knowledge with other boxers. The knowledge that can be passed down by a professional champion boxer is invaluable.
- How did you and Scott become involved together
- I am a sport photographer, I used to work with Carl Fogarty when he had FPR in the WSBK. I have always liked and followed boxing, so when FPR shut down, I set up an event photography side to the business. We take stills and videos at the shows. When we have guests at the club, just recently Roy Jones Jr, I videoed and photographed for the press and the clubs archives.
- What does the App offer? maybe that others don’t?
- The videos are of a superior quality and are embedded within the app. This means that there is a large initial download at 207mb, but no further need for a connection to YouTube etc when you want to see the videos.
- My co-director at South Coast Productions has many years of experience putting together training programmes and materials. We believe that our structured approach to converting Scott’s skills and passion as a boxer and coach into a valuable training resource, has created a masterclass that will be of great use to all aspiring boxers. The app shows how to build from the important basics that all boxers must know, not just how to throw punches, but often overlooked items such as putting wraps on. Once the basics have been mastered, boxers can develop personal techniques and styles later on. We have also included sections on fitness, equipment and information, so that a young lad entering a gym for the first time doesn’t feel daunted by not knowing things such as the terminology and equipment. We have all the WBC and historical rules detailed along with some trivia to make the content a more enjoyable read.
- Is it unique?
At the moment it is. It has been compiled from the wealth of experience that can only be gained from being an amateur and professional champion. Our approach to creating a serious training tool makes it stand out from other attempts at instructional apps and games. We are proud of the care we have all taken in creating a definitive guide on how to box properly. The WBC have seen and vetted the app and have approved it. The BBBofC have also done the same. This was not done lightly and we have done our best to ensure anyone who buys the app gets superb value for money.
- How did you set about making it and adding content?
- Hours of research, planning and design, combined with many early breakfast meetings and very late nights too. We felt it was important to structure the video to demonstrate why and how you should do a technique. It is then demonstrated slowly and at speed with boxers of differing size and age.
- What are your plans for the App?
- We are building the android ver. at the moment, it should be ready in 2 -3 week. We have plans to build a much more advanced app for the pro boxer. This will go beyond the basics and give the pro boxer the extra edge.
- How and where can people get it?
- At the moment it is only available from the itunes app store for iphone, ipad and iPod users. FREE – The android ver. will follow very shortly. Our website contains a lot of info as to the App store links etc
- Interview with Scott Welch coming soon…
Rated 9+ for the following: Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
Requirements: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iOS 4.2 or later.