17th January 2012
Ahead of Nathan Cleverly’s world title homecoming in Cardiff, Frank Warren Promotions held a press conference with the media to announce the fight.
Cleverly and his camp give there views on the fight, and answer the waiting press’ questions
If Carl Froch wants to step up in weight and fight him, then I’d take that fight in a heartbeat, he’s made for Nathan.” – Frank Warren.
WBO World Light-Heavyweight Champion Cleverly will make the third defence of his title against
American Tommy Karpency at Cardiff’s Motorpoint Arena on Saturday 25th
February – which will be televised live on BoxNation (Sky 456, Virgin
546) – It will be his his first fight in Wales in nearly four years.
Promoter Warren said at the conference, he then wants to stage a big June open air fight for Cleverly at the Cardiff City Stadium. This will be his first fight on home ground since 2007. – And Carl Froch could well be the star name, that they are planning to bring into the Dragons Den. In what would be a massive summer occasion for British boxing, if it came off.
“Frank’s got big plans for me and to fight at Cardiff City’s ground would be a dream,” said Cleverly.
I’m still only 24 and time is on my side to achieve a lot of things, I know the big super-fights will come, I’ve just got to keep putting on good displays and we are progressively getting there.” Nathan Cleverly.
“In the meantime I can’t be complacent by taking my eye off the ball and let Karpency upset the plans.”
Warren had earlier hinted at the conference that two-time WBC super-middleweight champion Froch would be an ideal opponent for Cleverly at Cardiff City Stadium.
|Cleverly defends his title against Tony Bellew in Liverpool, in October last year- pic by Al Stevenson|
Froch, who lost his WBC and WBA super-middleweight titles to Andre Ward last December, as said in the past he would contemplate in the future testing the British waters again, after boxing on the road for the last few years, and didn’t rule out stepping up from super-middleweight to face Cleverly.
Nathan is one of the best, right up there with Calzaghe and he may go on and emulate what Joe did.” Frank Warren.
“I would like to see Nathan fight again in early June at Cardiff City’s ground in a big open-air show,” said Warren.
“If Carl Froch wants to step up a weight and fight him then I’d take that fight in a heartbeat, he’s made for Nathan.
“Then I’d be looking for Nathan to have a unification fight, hopefully in September against one of the other title holders.”
Before a bout against Froch or a unification fight against WBC king Bernard Hopkins or WBA champion Beibut Shumenov, Cleverly can ill afford any slip ups against 25 year old American Karpency, who says he has never been stopped amateur or pro.
A one-time WBO Inter-Continental light-heavyweight title challenger, Karpency has 21 wins from 24 fights, including 14 knockouts. He lost to Karo Murat for the WBO inter-continental light heavyweight belt in May 2010 and has had just one fight since then.
By Chris Maylett