11th May 2012

Gary Sykes
Though Gary Sykes’s surprise world-title challenge of WBO
super-featherweight champion Adrien Broner was called off following the
cancellation of Amir Khan’s challenge of Lamont Peterson, the Dewsbury
man remains determined to achieve his career goals.

Sykes, 28, had been finalising preparations for his bid to overcome
the highly-rated Broner in Las Vegas but will now not get the chance to
do so. Despite the obvious disappointment entailed, his trainer Julian
McGowan
says the fighter believes it to be just another obstacle to
overcome.

“I want everyone to know we are still focused and looking forward to the next few years,” McGowan told Batley News. “Some things are not meant to be and fighting for a world championship was one of them at this stage.
“We had a fantastic opportunity and now it has gone and may be lost
forever but we stepped up and how many others do? This will not deter us
from our goal and success at the Central Boxing Club.”
“Gary showed me in the last few weeks he still has the skills,
determination and love for boxing and the form that he has showed has
been frightening.
“I am so proud of his efforts and the sacrifices he has made. We have
a special team down at Dicky’s Gym and John Tallant and Mark Hurley
have been my rocks.
“Good things can come from disappointment, it’s just a test we have to get through.
“In the 11th round against Andy Morris, one magical night in
Huddersfield on March 5 2010, Gary was hurt, tired and behind on the
scorecards in the fight of his life.
“I watched from three feet away in my corner position and held my
breath. He took a deep gasp of oxygen, paused, then attacked non-stop
with every ounce of energy and showed what he is – a champion.
“That moment is always etched in my mind. He’ll do this again and we won’t sleep until the Lonsdale belt is ours outright.” 
Tickets for David Price vs Sam Sexton for the British and Commonwealth heavyweight titles on 19 May can be purchased from www.frankmaloney.com
courtesy of Declan Warrington