Featured image: Lawrence Lustig/BOXXER.
BOXXER have confirmed the new date for Liam Smith‘s middleweight rematch with Chris Eubank Jr as September 2nd in Manchester.
The second fight had been set for both June and July this year before a recurring injury forced to the Liverpudlian forced the bout to be pushed back.
Smith floored and stopped Eubank Jr in January to hand the latter his first stoppage defeat in emphatic fashion in front of a sell-out crowd.
The Brighton man activated an immediate rematch clause the following month despite ongoing rumours that he would meet Conor Benn in a domestic showdown instead.
The 33 year old put out a tweet last week stating he would face Liverpool’s Smith again, initially stating the bout was set for London’s O2 Arena.
The pair will however return to Manchester’s AO Arena in two months time, live on Sky Sports Box Office.
“I’m glad that the date is set now and we can look forward to getting rid of this itch that needs scratching. I’m fully healed up now, injury-free, and I’m looking forward to finishing Chris Eubank Jr’s career on September 2”, Smith told Sky.
Eubank Jr vows to overturn the result six months ago, accusing the 34 year old of dodging a second fight.
“No more excuses, no more postponements. Smith can’t run forever. September 2nd is the day of my revenge”, he said.