After a quiet weekend last time out, British fight fans are treated to a night of action at the iconic Liverpool Olympia on Saturday evening when Jack Rafferty looks to secure a Commonwealth title shot against replacement opponent Ben Fields.
The pair are set to endure ten rounds at super-lightweight at the historic venue, with the full card set to be streamed live on BBTV‘s YouTube channel from 6pm.
Commonwealth title shot beckons for the winner
The Commonwealth ‘Silver’ super-lightweight title will be on the line this weekend with the victor set to compete for the full title – currently held by Sheffield’s Dalton Smith – in the near future.
A potential shot at the British title – also held by Smith – is also at stake with the bout filling as an eliminator for the Lord Lonsdale belt at 140lbs.
Manchester’s Rafferty (20-0, 11KOs) heads into the night with an undefeated record intact but had to adjust to late replacement opponent Fields after Lee Appleyard was forced to withdraw through injury.
“I’m glad I’m still fighting. The odds of still fighting in a British title eliminator after the pullout are very slim,” Rafferty told BBTV.
“I know what Ben’s about, I know what he brings and what he’s gonna come to do. I’ll be ready for fight night.”
Upcoming talents feature heavy further down the card
A host of prospects also feature on Saturday’s card, including Bournemouth super-featherweight Mace Ruegg (9-0) who takes on Honduras’ Jayro Fernando Duran (15-16, 14KOs) over six rounds.
The 23 year old has barely put a foot wrong since entering the pro ranks in February 2020 and looks to secure his tenth victory in as many outings against Duran this weekend.
Newcastle super-lightweight Jordan Parker (6-2, 1KO) is also set to feature over six against Poland journeywoman Bojana Libiszewska (7-54, 1KO), while Liverpool super-featherweight John Edwardson (5-0) hopes to impress in his home city against Gurjant Singh (3-11) in their six-round encounter.
St Helens’ Olivia Hussey is also set to make her pro debut against Serbia’s Marija Zivkovic (1-16-1) over four rounds at 130lbs.
- Jack Rafferty (20-0, 11KOs) vs Ben Fields (12-13-4, 1KO) – Commonwealth (Silver) & British Title Eliminator – 10 x 3 (Super-Lightweight)
- Jake Henty (5-0, 2KOs) vs Mykhailo Sovtus (5-23-1, 2KOs) – 6 x 3 (Welterweight)
- Mace Ruegg (9-0) vs Jayro Duran (15-16, 14KOs) – 6 x 3 (Super-Featherweight)
- Jordan Parker (6-2, 1KO) vs Bojana Libiszewska (7-54, 1KO) – 6 x 2 (Super-Lightweight)
- John Edwardson (5-0) vs Gurjant Singh (3-11) – 6 x 3 (Super-Featherweight)
- Olivia Hussey (debut) vs Marija Zivkovic (1-16-1) – 4 x 2 (Super-Featherweight)
- Michael Walton (2-4) vs Ricky Leach (3-66-1) – 4 x 3 (Super-Featherweight)
- James Francis (2-0) vs Simas Volosinas (7-115, 1KO) – 4 x 3 (Super-Featherweight)
- Zak Miller (12-0, 3KOs) vs Elias Vega (5-4) – 4 x 3 (Featherweight)