Joe Calzaghe, July 2007
Joe Calzaghe

Rumours were rife recently that Joe Calzaghe was ready to hang up his dancing shoes, dust off his kit bag and head down with Dad Enzo, once again to the gym in the valleys of there Welsh home, well they were true!


The 38-year-old quit boxing last February following a distinguished, undefeated 46-fight career in which he held the world super-middleweight and light-heavyweight titles.

Calzaghe did give a return to the ring serious consideration, even discussing potential opponents with Golden Boy promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, and actually did go down to the gym to see if the hunger was still there? and that desire and commitment to put his 38 year old body through another grueling training camp.

LAS VEGAS - APRIL 19:  Joe Calzaghe of Wales i...
Calzaghe v Hopkins 1
Calzaghe though insists that even though he did contemplate the idea, he has no plans soon to come out of retirement for a rematch with Bernard Hopkins, who would have been the choice, and who he had previously defeated by a controversial split decision in the penultimate fight of his career.

“There’s no truth that I’m coming back,” said Calzaghe. “A lot of boxers come back from retirement but when I retired from boxing, I said I intended to retire and nothing has changed from that.

“A lot of boxing fans would want to see me come back but at 38, after 27 years in the sport, being a world champ for 11 years, my time is up. I have no desire to fight, to be honest.

“Richard and I spoke about it a few months ago when I was in LA with my girlfriend. I said: ‘possibly’ and I went away to have some some time to think about it, whether I wanted to do it, who the potential opponents could be.

“But I went to the gym a couple of times and I realised that I didn’t want to do it.”

Bookmark and Share
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]