|Ricky Burns – by Al Stevenson|
15th March 2013
WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns could be set to face unbeaten Puerto Rican star Jose ‘Chelo’ Gonzalez (22-0,17KOs) in his third defence of his world title set for May 11 in Glasgow, a venue is yet to be confirmed.
Gonzales is the WBO‘s No1 ranked mandatory challenger for Burns’ title belt and him and his team have expressed their wishes to take on Burns in Scotland.
Burns (35-2, 10KOs) who cut ties with long term promoter Frank Warren recently to join Eddie Hearn at Matchroom, is still waiting not only on an opponent being confirmed but a venue hasn’t been chosen as yet either, although it is believed team Burns favour’s the City’s Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome.
Burns had been lined up to fight IBF champion Miguel Vazquez in London on March 16 but the date fell through with Vazquez falling ill just weeks before the fight date.
The postponement led to the Coatsbridge boxer splitting with Warren and signing with Hearn, a decision Burns sees as the correct one and he is excited about fighting on home turf again.
“Fighting at home is always good. I always say I have the best support in the world. Eddie knows my attitude; I will fight whoever is put infront of me. If it is going to be Jose Gonzales then so be it.” Burns told STV.
“My next fight is May 11 in Glasgow. We are looking between two venues and a venue and opponent will be confirmed this week.
“I’m really excited and looking forward to what is going to happen this year. When I first spoke to Eddie, after watching the Kevin Mitchell fight he said the fans came out, that’s why he’s keen to have my next few fights in Glasgow.”