25th August 2012
BoxNation (Sky Ch. 437/Virgin Ch. 546) kicks off its second season with a sensational line-up featuring the best domestic and international action all live and exclusive on the Undisputed Home of TV Boxing.
To the end of October, the action-packed schedule sees a staggering 12 world title fights – which is unrivaled on any other TV channel – with even more fights to be added.
- It starts tonight (Saturday 25th August) LIVE from the O2 World Arena in Berlin for the highly anticipated showdown between WBO World Super-Middleweight Champion Robert Stieglitz and challenger Arthur Abraham. It’s make or break for Abraham, the heavy handed former IBF World Middleweight Champion, who’s had a succession of tough fights since stepping up a weight division and is making a second world title attempt at 168lbs. He faces a tough test against the classy Russian born Stieglitz who’s made seven successful defences of the title so far. The fight has extra significance with British and Commonwealth Champion George Groves looking to get in with the winner.
- The following week (Saturday 1st September) it’s back to Germany LIVE from the Koenig Pilsener Arena in Oberhausen for a huge unification showdown in the middleweight division with long-time WBA World Champion Felix Sturm putting his crown on the line against tough Australian Daniel Geale who holds the IBF World title.
- Queensberry Promotions’ exciting series BoxAcademy returns for a new season on Friday 7th September LIVE from the home of London boxing the York Hall, Bethnal Green, with Tony Conquest and Ian Tims challenging for the Vacant WBO International Cruiserweight Championship, also featuring star prospects Joe Selkirk, Joey Taylor and Tom Baker.
- The next night (Saturday 8th September) it’s LIVE from the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas for a potentially explosive face-off between IBF World Welterweight Champion Randall Bailey and former WBC/IBF World Champion Devon Alexander. With 16 years in the sport, Bailey still has the KO punch. In his last fight he scored a sensational one-punch knockout of Mike Jones to win the title, but in his way is a man used to facing and beating big-punchers. Alexander mastered heavy-handed Argentinians Marcos Maidana and Lucas Matthysse and is now gunning to become a two-weight champion. Matthysse also features as chief-support on the card and takes on the former Commonwealth champion Ajose Olusegun with the WBC Interim Light-Welterweight championship on the line.
- Exciting talent Billy Joe Saunders kicks off a triple-header weekend. The Commonwealth Middleweight Champion returns to action on Friday 14th September LIVE at the York Hall in a battle of the unbeaten punchers when he tackles dangerous Australian challenger Jarrod Fletcher. Also on the card is the hot super-middleweight prospect Frank Buglioni plus some of Britain’s brightest talents.
- The following night (Saturday 15th September) it’s a LIVE double-header from two continents starting at the Stechert Arena in Bayern, Germany, with Yoan Pablo Hernandez’s IBF World Cruiserweight title against Troy Ross. Big-hitting Hernandez scored two memorable wins over Steve Cunningham – a controversial technical decision followed by a tough points win, both seen on BoxNation – and dropping him in both fights. Ross won the US reality TV hit series The Contender in 2009 and will give Hernandez a tough test.
- Then it’s LIVE to the MGM Grand, Las Vegas, for a fistic Mexican Independence Day holiday weekend for a massive show. One of world boxing’s hottest young stars Saul Alvarez takes on Josesitio Lopez in a potential thriller. At only 21, Mexican ace Alvarez is unbeaten in 41 fights with 29 going early and has excited fans with his all-action, hard-hitting, performances. He faces a stern test against Lopez who scored a huge upset when he smashed Victor Ortiz in June to make his name on the world stage. Also on the card, dynamite-punching Mexican hero Jhonny Gonzalez, one-time ruler of the bantamweight division, defends his WBC World Featherweight Championship against another iron-fisted warrior in Daniel Ponce De Leon. Between them they have an incredible 106 fights with 80 big knockouts. A further world title fight sees IBF World Bantamweight Champion Leo Santa Cruz defend his title against Erik Morel and Maidana on the world title comeback trail. It’s going to be an explosive night.
- The Auld rivalry reignites on Saturday 22nd September at Glasgow’s SECC between WBO World Lightweight Champion Ricky Burns and Kevin Mitchell in a gigantic Battle of Britain LIVE. Scottish star Burns, a two-time and two-weight world champion, meets English rival Mitchell in one of the most highly anticipated fights in recent years. All-action Burns has been involved in thrillers against Roman Martinez and Michael Katsidis, but Mitchell will be his biggest challenge yet. The tough heavy-handed Londoner has been gunning for a fight with Burns for the last few years and he’s looking to pull off a major upset in the champion’s home city. The undercard also features Celtic Super-Featherweight Champion John Simpson plus former two-time WBO World Featherweight Champion Scott Harrison.
- The heavyweights are back in action on BoxNation. WBA World Heavyweight champion Alexander Povetkin and former WBC World Champion Hasim Rahman collide at the Sporthalle in Hamburg LIVE on Saturday 29th September. Russian star Povetkin is aiming for a showdown with the all-conquering Klitschko brothers and a dominant showing against Rahman will line him up for one of them.
- Next up is BoxNation’s newest British star. The hammer-fisted unbeaten heavyweight talent David Price puts his British and Commonwealth titles on the line against Audley Harrision LIVE from the Liverpool Echo Arena on Saturday 13th October. It’s also a battle of the Olympians with Price winning Bronze in Beijing and Harrison claiming Gold in Sydney. Liverpool giant Price has stopped 11 out of 13 early with his last last seven fights all ending by knockout, but Harrison is making a final stand in his career and is looking to upset the young star. A quality packed card features a further three British title fights in a big night of action.
- The man who destroyed Amir Khan is coming to BoxNation. Danny Garcia took Khan’s WBC/WBA Super World Light-Welterweight titles with a devastating performance last month and now defends the titles against Mexican legend Erik Morales LIVE from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, on Saturday 20th October. A further world title on the card sees new WBA World Welterweight Champion Paul Malignaggi – who BoxNation viewers’ saw cause an unbelievable upset when he stopped Vyacheslav Senchenko in nine rounds to take his world title in the Ukrainian’s backyard in May – makes the first title defence against hard-hitting Pablo Cesar Cano.
- The action switches LIVE the following week to the CSKA Stadium in Moscow, Russia, on Saturday 27th October where hero Denis Lebedev takes on Guillermo Jones for his WBA World Cruiserweight title. Jones has won his last two title defences by KO, but equally iron-fisted Russian challenger Lebedev will have something to say about it in this potential thriller.
BoxNation is the ONLY place to watch all the action live and exclusive and with further shows to be announced, it’s a fight fans’ dream. Join now at www.boxnation.com
BOXNATION FIXTURE LIST
Saturday 25th August
WBO World Super-Middleweight Championship
Robert Stieglitz v Arthur Abraham
Saturday 1st September
WBA/IBF World Middleweight Championships
Felix Sturm v Daniel Geale
Friday 7th September
Vacant WBO International Cruiserweight Championship
Tony Conquest v Ian Tims
Saturday 8th September
IBF World Welterweight Championshp
Randall Bailey v Devon Alexander
Friday 14th September
The Commonwealth Middleweight Championship
Billy Joe Saunders v Jarrod Fletcher
Saturday 15th September
IBF World Cruiserweight Championship
Yoan Pablo Hernandez v Troy Ross
WBC World Light-Middleweight Championship
Saul Alvarez v Josesito Lopez
WBC World Featherweight Championship
Johnny Gonzalez v Daniel Pone De Leon
IBF World Bantamweight Championship
Leo Santa Cruz v Erik Morel
Saturday 22nd September
WBO World Lightweight Championship
Ricky Burns v Kevin Mitchell
Saturday 29th September
WBA World Heavyweight Championship
Alexander Povetkin v Hasim Rahman
Saturday 13th October
British and Commonwealth Heavyweight Champion
David Price v Audley Harrison
Plus three more British title fights
Saturday 20th October
WBC/WBA World Light-Welterweight Championships
Danny Garcia v Erik Morales
WBA World Welterweight Championship
Paul Malignaggi v Pablo Cesar Cano
Saturday 27th October
WBA World Cruiserweight Championship
Denis Lebedev v Guillermo Jones