Scott Quigg will take on Cuban Yoandris Salinas for the vacant WBA super bantam-weight title and the fight is being lined up to take place in the UK and could feature as a sweet appetiser for the Big British heavyweight showdown bill between David Haye and Tyson Fury at the Manchester Arena on September 28.
Quigg, 24, from Bury in Greater Manchester is the unbeaten former British champion. He recently signed promotional forms with Eddie Hearn and Matchroom Boxing, who are compiling what promises to be a Stella line-up on and the high profile fight event of the year.
No decision has yet been announced for the date of Quigg’s biggest fight of his 26-0-1, 19KO, career, and if the fight cannot be made for September, then there is the option of pushing it into the October. Quigg and his coach Joe Gallagher are currently in talks and have a meeting this week to organise the details of the fight date and venue.
“Scott’s fight with Salinas has been announced today (Monday 15th July) and he’ll be fighting for the WBA world super-bantamweight title.” Joe Gallagher told www.britishboxers.co.uk
“Obviously people are putting two and two together and talking about it taking place on the David Haye-Tyson Fury bill at the Arena. It would be great to fight there again, but we’ve got a meeting this week and we will thrash out the best deal we can for Scott Quigg.
“We are hoping the fight will be in the UK and for it to be at the Manchester Arena would just be the icing on the cake.
“Home advantage plays a big factor and it would be a special night for Scott with the roar of the fans behind him, plus he wont have far to travel, less disturbances and it’s all percentages in your favour.”
Quigg came back recently after a 7-month sabbatical from the ring with a convincing win over William Prado (KO3) in Bolton last month. Prior to that he had a career best win over Rendall Munroe in November last year on the undercard of Ricky Hatton’s comeback against Viacheslav Senchenko at the Manchester Arena. Quigg stopped Munroe (TKO6) making him interim champion and mandatory for the WBA’s elite belt.
“When every young boxer turns professional, this is what they dream about fighting for the world title and Scott Quigg’s dreams are being fulfilled now.” added Gallagaher, who says he also realises just how good Salinas is and what his man is up against, but adds we haven’t and wont for a while, see the very best of Scott Quigg.
“Yoandris Salinas is a very good fighter, but I’ve never met a bad Cuban yet. He’s a sparring partner for Yuriorkis Gamboa he’s unbeaten, this will be his 22nd fight against Scott, and he’s knocked-out 13.
“The Cuban’s have ruled the amateur scene for years and now they are turning professional with the likes of Gamboa and (Guillermo) Rigondeaux, their doing really well has pros,
“Scott Quigg is going to have to be at his very best if he is to beat Salinas, this kid is a quality fighter, but if you want to be a world champion and be considered the best, you have to fight and beat the best.
“This will be the biggest fight of Scott’s career, but I don’t think this is the best Scott Quigg yet, because he is still a work in progress and he will be reaching his highest peak in the next few years, but the fact that he has come so far, so quickly speaks volumes of him.
“But with these types of fights, against world class opposition, he will only get better and better and winning the world title will develop him no end.”
WBA News Regarding the Fight
Scott Quigg 122 pounds interim champion and N° 2 challenger, Yoandris Salinas reached an agreement for the vacant title bout, thus cancelled the World Boxing Association biding.
The the WBA World Championships Committee had summoned the purse bid for July 15, however, Quigg and Salinas representatives announced they had reached an agreement to stage the mandatory fight to determine the regular champion of the division .
Agreement details have not been disclosed; however they should be announced to the WBA in the next days.
In light of the above, the Purse Bid originally summoned for July 15 in the WBA headquarters has been cancelled.
pic courtesy http://wbanews.com