RECORD BREAKING STATS
Boxing fans and experts alike are still understandably full of praise for the brutally entertaining 12-round war light-heavyweights Andrzej Fonfara and Nathan Cleverly put on last night in Chicago. The Fight Of The Year candidate, won by Fonfara, featured an astonishing 2,524 combined punches thrown and 936 landed between the two teak-tough warriors. Cleverly, who lost a unanimous decision, suffered a broken nose and needed a trip to hospital, yet he has Tweeted how he would love a rematch.
“Overwhelmed with the support, Thankyou. I gave it everything. Nose broke in 7th but that’s boxing. Respect to Fonfara, would love to do it again,” Cleverly wrote today.
#//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js” async=”” charset=”utf-8″>-script>
Overwhelmed with the support,Thankyou.I gave it everything.Nose broke in 7th but that’s boxing.Respect to Fonfara, would love to do it again— Nathan Clev’ (@NathanClev) October 17, 2015
Fonfara, said post-fight he is aiming for a return with WBC 175-pound king Adonis Stevenson, who he knocked down only to lose a decision back in May of last year, may look Cleverly’s way if that sequel cannot be made. In light of how much the fans loved Fonfara-Cleverly 1, a return could well make financial sense.
Those people who felt the need to praise both fighters include none other than former Cleverly rival, Tony Bellew, who at one time readily admitted he could not stand the Welshman. Yet after last night’s war, Bellew was moved to give the man he is 1-1 with plenty of respect.
“I think he gains everybody’s respect because he’s put up a great fight,” Bellew said to Sky Sports when speaking about Cleverly. “You may not personally like someone but ultimately I do respect him. Hopefully we’ll see him back. I would like to see him, maybe in a Fonfara rematch.”
Amen to that, is all anyone who saw night’s scintillating rumble wishes to say.