Unified heavyweight champion Oleksandr Usyk sent a message calling out Tyson Fury via social media on Tuesday.
The pair’s teams remain locked in negotiations for an undisputed showdown for late March or early April of this year.
A fight announcement is expected imminently as the sport edges closer to its first undisputed heavyweight champion in over two decades.
However, Usyk took to Twitter on Tuesday appearing to call out Fury for “asking for a lot of money.”
The 36-year-old wrote: “Fury, you talk about greatness in boxing. At the same time you say “give me a lot of money.
“Greatness in boxing is not determined by money, greatness comes from a victorious path. You say that I avoid you, although I never have, and in fact I’ve even come to you. I’m ready to box with you even without any prize money!”
Fury’s co-promoter Frank Warren told talkSPORT that a deal was close to being finalised and that offers to host the event are expected to be received this week.
Saudi Arabia has been strongly rumoured as a favourite to host boxing’s first undisputed heavyweight fight in two decades.
However, Bob Arum [who also co-promotes Fury] told talkSPORT last week that if the fight was to take place at Wembley then the purse split between the pair would have to be reevaluated.
“Then we’d have to talk about the percentages, because Usyk wants 50-50”, said Arum.
“That’s not right if the fight’s at Wembley because there will be 95,000 Brits at the fight and big Brit pay-per-view money, so Tyson deserves the lion’s share.”
Fury came face-to-face with the Ukrainian in the aftermath of his ten-round demolition of Dereck Chisora at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in December.