Former Team GB amateur starlet Cyrus Pattinson (5-0-0, 3KOs) faces his toughest professional outing against Chris Jenkins (23-6-3, 8KOs) in Newcastle on Saturday evening.
The Matchroom Boxing ‘NxtGen’ card at the Utilita Arena marks Pattinson’s first fight as a headliner after five pro contests since turning pro two years ago.
All five subsequent outings have resulted in victory since, with three coming inside the distance, but the 28 year old faces his sternest test yet against the former British and Commonwealth welterweight champion this weekend.
Swansea’s Jenkins, now 34, has lost three of his last four outings but possesses a wealth of experience which dwarfs that of his opponent as the two head into Saturday night.
The Welshman, who rightly enters the fight as underdog, will provide a healthy evaluation of Pattinson’s ability in the paid ranks as the latter looks to match his successful career in the amateur code.
A 2022 victory over former unified super-lightweight champion Julius Indongo serves as a timely reminder of Jenkins’ ability to compete at the top level.
The fight no doubt provides him with the opportunity to land another big fight later this year providing he can secure the win on Saturday during the final stages of his own career.
Another former Team GB star features on Saturday as Birmingham heavyweight Solomon Dacres (5-0-0, 1KO) faces Robert Ismay (11-0-0, 4KOs) for the vacant English title.
Both men look to land their first major title on Saturday while the loser will be handed their first defeat in the professional code.
Leeds super-bantamweight Hopey Price (9-0-0, 3KOs) also features in his second ten-round contest against France’s Thomas Masson (20-5-1, 7KOs), while super-middleweight Pat McCormack (3-0-0, 2KOs) also appears against Italy’s Dario Socci (15-7-2, 6KOs) over eight.
McCormack secured a silver medal at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics and will fight for the second time under the Matchroom banner this weekend.
Newcastle middleweight Mark Dickinson (4-0-0, 1KO) takes on Bury’s Ben Ridings (5-3-0) over eight.
- Cyrus Pattinson vs Chris Jenkins (Welterweight – 10 x 3)
- Solomon Dacres vs Robert Ismay (Heavyweight – 10 x 3)
- Hopey Price vs Thomas Masson (Super-bantamweight – 10 x 3)
- Pat McCormack vs Dario Socci (Super-Middleweight – 8 x 3)
- Calum French vs Jordan Ellison (Lightweight – 8 x 3)
- Mark Dickinson vs Ben Ridings (Middleweight – 8 x 3)
- Maisey Rose Courtney vs Buchra El Quiassi (Light-Flyweight – 4 x 2)
- Adam Reichard vs Jahfieus Faure (Lightweight – 4 x3)
- Muhammed Ali (debut) vs Sean Jackson (Super-Bantamweight – 4 x 3)