British cruiserweight champion Mikael Lawal has pulled out of his scheduled fight with Isaac Chamberlain on May 27th due to ‘medical reasons’.
Lawal confirmed the news via social media on Tuesday afternoon, while Chamberlain says that a new opponent is set to be announced shortly.
“Due to medical reasons I’ve been advised to postpone the fight with Isaac Chamberlain”, said Lawal.
“The board and my promotional company Boxxer have been provided with all evidence in regards to this matter.
“I look forward to getting a new date and defending my British title once I’m fully passed and cleared to do so.”
After intense verbal exchanges at the opening press conference in April, the pair were set to fight as chief support to Lawrence Okolie‘s WBO cruiserweight title defence against Chris Billam-Smith at Bournemouth’s Dean Court.
Chamberlain responded to the post on Instagram, writing: “Kmt uno what I’m not even surprised coward.”
He also posted a screenshot of messages sent directly to Lawal saying “you should be ashamed” which was followed by “coward” before posting a snippet from last month’s press conference.
In the clip, Chamberlain warned Lawal “don’t pullout yeah” as the latter shaped up to make the first defence of his title since claiming it against David Jamieson in November.
Chamberlain will still fight on the card in his first appearance since a unanimous decision defeat to Billam-Smith in July.
The new opponent is yet to be confirmed.
Featured image: Lawrence Lustig/BOXXER.