ITV throwing their hat back into the prize ring was great news for British boxing but has already proven a stumbling block for getting the Scott Quigg–Carl Frampton fight made. While Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing represents Quigg with Sky Sports their platform, Frampton is under Barry McGuigan’s Cyclone Promotions and backed by ITV.
Today, WBA super-bantamweight champion Quigg and his team offered IBF super-bantamweight champion Frampton £1.5 million to face him in Manchester on July 18 in a unification blockbuster between the two unbeaten rivals.
No sooner had the offer been made, it was rejected by a frustrated Frampton who has no intention of taking on Quigg other than on equal terms and says he has already made it quite clear to Quigg and Hearn, that any deal will either be a joint promotion or non atall. And while Hearn believes showing the fight on Sky PPV will be a more lucrative option, Frampton, McGuigan and ITV will also want to secure the rights to what will be a widley viewed event.
Both parties had discussions recently regarding such issues but came away still locked in stale mate with neither side willing to budge on their demands. It appears that Matchroom are open to a joint promotion but where would that leave the TV side of things? I suppose that would then come down to who bid the highest.
Quigg, 26, (30-0-2, 22KOs) last fought in November, when he successfully defended his title against Japan’s Hidenori Otake via a unanimous decision. After that fight he had surgery on his damaged hand and has been in recovery, but now he is ready to presume training and it is the fight with Frampton he wants next. With his promoter Hearn, the pair issued statements and pics with a signed cheque, as they made a surprise, strategic, public move to start the ball and the media machine rolling for a summer clash.
“He’s now got 1.5 million reasons for him to fight me,” said Quigg. “This is the closest the fight has ever been, I believe he wants the fight but we’ll find out today. Carl – let’s get this fight made.
“There’s two fights in Britain that the public want – Kell Brook and Amir Khan and Carl and I – it’s a great fight and we need to make it now, it would sell out that famous arena in a heartbeat and would be a hit on Sky Sports.”
Cyclone Promotion issued an immediate statement in response to the offer in which they stated the event must be a co-promotion to go ahead, and that negotiations were ongoing.
Frampton, 28, (20-0, 14KOs) took the IBF title from Kiko Martinez last September and made a successful first defence in February stopping Chris Avalos in the 5th round in front of a packed Odyssey Arena in his home city of Belfast. The Jackal will see himself as the big draw and it looks as if Hearns offer has not gone down too well with team Frampton.
“My team and I have been in negotiations with Matchroom Sport to co-promote this fight.” Frampton later added. “It has been made very clear to Matchroom Sport throughout the entire negotiation period that this huge domestic fight can only take place as a co-promotion. It is therefore frustrating that Matchroom have deviated from negotiations with this offer.”
Hearn responded: “It is not about Cyclone Promotions and Matchroom Sport, it’s about Scott Quigg and Carl Frampton. If Cyclone Promotions really need their name on the poster and Michael Buffer to mention them in the introductions, then no problem.
“They are right that negotiations have been ongoing but they ended last week when we hit a brick wall.
“We’re frustrated. Brook versus Khan has fallen by the wayside and we want to make sure that this fight happens. We’ve made Carl an offer of £1.5million to fight in Manchester on July 18. There’s no reason why this fight can’t happen and we are willing to put the money up.
“There’s no offer from them and all the revenue is being delivered by us. We have massive respect for Carl, he’s a brilliant fighter that I have worked with in the past. These are two great champions and we just want to see the fight; let’s get it made.”
We are not at check mate just yet, but Hearns offer has certainly poked the bees nest or thrown a cat amongst the pigeons, which ever one you like. – But one thing it has done, it has got the fight in the forefront of the peoples minds, we are writing, talking about it again, Twittering about it and soon the mob will demand it and they will get it! Where, when and how much, it appears will take a lot more wranglings before we have the answers!
Guillermo Rigondeaux says he would fight Scott Quigg & Carl Frampton for 1.5 million
Gary Hyde the manager of WBA/WBO world champion and the divisions No1 fighter Guillermo Rigondeaux, has made it clear to Eddie Hearn and Scott Quigg that his man is ready, willing and more than available to sign any contract if there is a 1.5 million cheque waved in his direction!
“This fight can be signed and sealed today. Let’s get it on Eddie.” said Hyde.
“Flash one of them cheques to us and we got a fight.
“Rigo would fight Quigg AND Frampton for $1.5m US dollars.”